Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Special Edition

Special Edition

Ol Vettie has been in a lot of pain over the past 3 to 4 weeks. About 2 years ago, I had spinal fusion on my lower back, S1 to L4. Somehow, I had managed to break my back. The S1 socket suffered a clean break and actually fell about one inch and slipped to the right side. The rest of my spine stayed intact except for the sciatic nerve.

This is a bundle of nerves the comes out of your spinal and more less controls things in your body, like leg movements and pain. The S1 break fell on the sciatic nerve and caused some major nerve damage. I had surgery to fix the back but there is no real fix for the nerve, its one of those hope it heals on its own type things.

Anyway, recently, L3, the disc set above where my surgery was originally done ahs burst and is pinching the nerves that come from that area. This has caused some major pain and some issues with control of my right leg. More or less, the use of it has been limited.

I got the news today from my surgeon that it can be fixed and I can expect a 90% chance of a full recovery. There will be some bone shaving and a disc removal and replacement. This surgery is not nearly as serious as the first one I had. I am scheduled to go in on Monday.

What this means is that I will be down for a week or two and may not be posting much. I would hope that folks would continue to stop by and maybe leave a comment or two every now and then. As soon as I am able, I will be back on line and posting as soon as I am able.

Thanx for being there and reading my stuff. There is lots more to come, just a temporary set back.

Vettie out…

5 comments:

  1. hi there vettie .sorry to hear about your backproblem. getting old is a bitch.anyway i find your blog on mech warroir quite intresting,keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Chief, Sunder just won't be the same until you return, which I'm sure will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Chief, Sunder just won't be the same until you return, which I'm sure will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you a speedy recovery Vettie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vettie,been reading your articles since the first day and always find them informative.Good luck with the surgery and hoping you get back in the cockpit soon!

    ReplyDelete